Politics and the Environment, Health and Freedom
|Politics is intimately connected
with our treatment of the environment, our approach to good health, and
our freedom to make personal choices we believe in. On this page I am
collecting items that provide a powerful voice for a new way of looking at
our political choices in this time when power, greed, and expediency seem
to hold a grip on our society and our politicians.
the Crisis in Nutrition - summary of the March 15, 2012,
sessions at the Quest for Research Excellence Conference in Washington, DC
* Politics of Obesity
- The Politics of Obesity: Confronting Our National
* Food Fight: The Inside Story of the Food Industry, America's Obesity Crisis, and What We Can Do About It by Kelly Brownell. This book is a fascinating analysis of the problem of obesity in this country, but he makes the error of blaming fat for obesity rather that all the processed fats and carbs and meat from factory raised animals. Kelly Brownell is a respected obesity expert, but he hasn't caught up with current wisdom about the importance of high quality fats from pasture raised animals, so take that into account in reading the book.
Food Supply Politics - by one of our WAPF chapter leaders
Books on Food & Politics
* Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health by Marion Nestle
* This Organic Life: Confessions of a Suburban Homesteader by Joan Dye Gussow - in which she pleads for an emphasis on locally produced food.
* The Botany of Desire: A Plant's-Eye View of the World by
* What To Eat - The Ten Things You Really Need to Know to Eat Well and
Be Healthy!, by Luise Light, M.S.,
* The Politics of Obesity by
* Beating the Food Giants by Paul A. Stitt - an online book on why you don't want to eat boxed breakfast cereals, or any processed food for that matter.
* The Politics and Economics of Food by Sally Fallon
Evidence of corruption
Films on Food, Health & Politics
* Here's a list by another WAPF chapter leader www.fiftytolife.com/documentaries
* Food Evolution GMO Film Showcases Chemical industry Agenda 6/15/17 Huffington Post
* Communities Rising - 6/18/17 "Across the country, citizens are taking action to protect their families from GMOs and toxic chemicals. Watch and share this moving and inspiring story."
* Farmers for America - https://www.leaveitbetter.com/farmers-for-america/ A documentary to celebrate and support young farmers 2017
* Secret Ingredients https://secretingredientsmovie.com/ 2017 shares moving, personal stories of families and individuals that have regained their health after experimenting with their diet and eliminating certain ‘secret ingredients’ until they discovered the key to protecting their health.
* Sustainable http://sustainablefoodfilm.com/ - A vital investigation of the economic and environmental instability of America’s food system, from the agricultural issues we face — soil loss, water depletion, climate change, pesticide use — to the community of leaders who are determined to fix it. Sustainable is a film about the land, the people who work it and what must be done to sustain it for future generations.
* Polyfaces , a World of Many Choices - ‘Polyfaces’ is a joyful film about connecting to the land and the community. Produced over 4 years it follows the Salatin’s, a 4th generation farming family who do ‘everything different to everyone else’ as they produce food in a way that works with nature, not against it.
* Dr. Mercola on Farmageddon...The Unseen War on American Family Farms
* What's With Wheat? - This documentary investigates the growing epidemic of wheat intolerance and why, after eating wheat for thousands of years, it has been linked to so many health problems.
Coated - 2016 CSA WINNER OF THE DONALD BRITAIN AWARD FOR BEST
SOCIAL / POLITICAL DOCUMENTARY
recommended: Forks over Knives http://forksoverknives.com/
examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the so-called
“diseases of affluence” that afflict us can be controlled, or even
reversed, by rejecting our present menu of animal-based and processed
The Future of Food - a video
focusing on genetic engineering of our food
* The Truth About Food, Inc.- Filmmaker Robert Kenner and Michael Pollan explain their new film, "Food, Inc." to John Dickerson.
* King Corn - www.kingcorn.net a feature documentary about two friends, one acre of corn, and the subsidized crop that drives our fast-food nation.
* FoodMatters - www.foodmatters.tv
* FRESH - www.Freshthemovie.com - celebrates the farmers, thinkers and business people across America who are re-inventing our food system.
* Nourish - nourishlife.org - What's the story of your food? - New 2010
* Percy Schmeiser - David versus Monsanto http://percyschmeiser.com/
* My Justice Page, which covers a variety of related issues
* The Cornucopia Institute is dedicated to the fight for economic justice for the family-scale farming community - http://cornucopia.org/
* FoodDeclaration.org - Declaration for Healthy Food and Agriculture, Twelve Principles
The Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance (FARFA) is leading the fight to save family farms and individuals from expensive and unnecessary government regulation.
Science' is Killing Us
Local on a Global Scale: Rethinking Food Trade in
the Era of Climate Change, Dumping, and Rural Poverty
Problems, Local Solutions by Wendell Berry [You must join to see
the article, but here's an alternate
this why men keep getting us into war - it triggers their pleasure
Food Freedom blog http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/
Food Freedom - the new issue!
* On the need to break the medical monopoly: America's Socialized Health Care by Lawrence Wilson, M.D.
* The health care reform legislation that Congress should pass, but won't
* The Diabetes Conundrum: What Physicians are Teaching You may be Killing You http://www.mercola.com/2005/jun/21/diabetes.htm
Some interesting listening
* If you
want to understand why cancer is such a killer, and how your body can stay
* Cancer, Nutrition & Healing - A Personal Odyssey, by Jerry Brunetti (DVD)
* Why We are Losing the War on Cancer - March 21, 2004 issue of Fortune:
- click on audio archives and find:
Solari - Navigating toward a Financially Intimate World
Slow Money - www.slowmoney.org/ - bringing people together around a shared vision about what it means to be an investor in the 21st Century: It starts with the soil!
The End of America by Naomi Wolf. See the video clips.
to Pay for What We Need, by Richard Striner
Trust the Government??? and Industry???
* "You Can’t Trust Consumers to Make the Right Choice About GM
Foods. The Truth Would Be Confusing and Misleading!" Says FDA
and also with Organic Consumers Asso
From a concerned friend:
See also Genetic Engineering - GMO's
The New Economy and its variants See
James Gustave Speth America the Possible: Manifesto for a New
James Gustave Speth America the Possible: Manifesto for a New
In Feb 16, 2015 The Nationhttp://www.thenation.com/article/196217/how-i-became-radical
Solidarity Economyhttp://solidarityeconomy.org/ http://www.ussen.org/
Caring Economyhttp://caringeconomy.org/ http://centerforpartnership.org/
Toward a Restorative Economy http://www.life.ca/naturallife/9508/hawken.htm
Co-creating the Regenerative Economy - capitalinstitute.orghttp://www.regenerativefinance.org/
Sustaining Economyhttp://www.123helpme.com/view.asp?id=98342 http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/on-the-possibility-of-a-pluralist-commonwealth-and-a-community-sustaining-economy/2013/08/09
Commons Economyhttp://wealthofthecommons.org/essay/economy-wastefulness-biology-commons http://www.onthecommons.org/economic-theory-commons http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michel-bauwens/beyond-jeremy-rifkin-how-_b_5185948.html
The New Economyhttp://neweconomy.net/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_economy http://www.thenation.com/article/160949/new-economy-movement